The first Catholic Mass in Fforestfach was celebrated by Canon Mooney, assisted by his curates Fr. Dunne, Fr, Morris and Fr. O’Flaherty, in the Billiard Hall on Fforestfach Cross and then on the upper floor of Ryan’s shop. They remained here until Canon Mooney purchased the land at Upper King’s Head Road to build a church. Our Lady Queen of the Universe opened in 1954. In 1956 it became a parish in it’s own right, separate from St Joseph’s.
Our current church, Holy Cross, was dedicated and opened on 8th December 1989, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
For a more comprehensive story of our history, see an article written by Anne Hacche and memories shared by Canon Flook. These accounts were published in the magazine produced for the Jubilee celebration in 2014.
Jubilee Year – 2014 – Sixty Years of Grace and Witness
2014 was a wonderful year of celebration – sixty years of a Catholic presence in Gendros and twenty five years of the present Holy Cross Church. We recalled all those who had gone before us whose faith, hard work and commitment brought us to where we are today. We celebrated the diversity of our community in Liturgy, music, dance and in sharing food together. All cultures, all ages came together, worked together and celebrated together with energy, enthusiasm and vision. It was an unforgettable year!
“May God ‘s blessing remain upon us and upon this garden of prayer as we thank Mary for her contribution to the world by bringing forth her son our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns for ever and ever”